Monday, January 10, 2011

FUN, FUN....FUN!!!


Ok, who said working out was fun?? Ummm, I don't know exactly, but the adventure, the chase and certainly the end results are enticing...for me.  Let's do this together; let's find some common ground here.  
 
I remember in the heat of Summer I would get on my bike and ride from Brooklyn to New Jersey to eat at a restaurant.  It was adventurous, but I wondered what made me lose my mind to ride more than two hours to eat (and be hungry when I got back home).  Well...here's what made me love cycling...the fun....sorry that was a typo, I meant the "fun rides".  Although, riding to New Jersey was not a fun ride, the concept of getting on a bike alone was due to my initial interest in "fun rides".  Here's how it works.  A company called 5BBC (Five Borough Bicycle Club, www.5bbc.org) had "friends" who had restaurants, shops, stores etc and we would gather and cycle to where they were located. It was free and so was the food and items in the store etc.  It was awesome!!  My buddies and I would pick out the ones we liked the best and just go without a thought, typically with just a bottle of water and sunglasses (of course with other protective gear and bike supplies).  The best was when we went to "Little Italy". We ate and sampled wine and laid out under a tree somewhere and everyone was happy.  We pretty much got a tour of the city in the process, and our guide was knowledgeable about cycling form etc.  Another fun thing about it, most bike shop owners knew members of this club and others like it and would tune up our bikes for free and getting things fixed wasn't a hastle at all. 
 
In this very nice community of people, the younger folks would race each other up front with the more athletic guide and the older or less experienced folks were happily entertained and motivated at the back of the pack.  Many times we got to our destination far in advance of this group and would go back and leisurely accompany them back to where we would dine.  Eating without them just wasn't fun, they were usually the "riots" of the group.

Fast forward to 2011. Here's my "bright" idea.  I am going to do it again, but this time...I am going to do it as a "runner".  Yikes!!!  I found a company doing "fun runs" (those two words don't really go together well do they??).  My hope is to eventually fall in love with running, make a few new friends and have "fun" in the process.  Here's the best part of this deal... to run we need sneakers (although, after taking a running seminar...I won't be wearing my usual choice of sneakers), a pair of pants, a top and an ipod (optional).  All of those things most people already have.  I have found that this is a very inexpensive means of "fun" and that can only be a good thing.  Each of these "fun runs" are free, the 5k and 10k races have small fees attached to them.  There are even listings of qualifier races for national races for the more ambitious of the group.

Here's the plunge though... after a few weeks I am hoping that the friends that I have made (on the fun runs and 5k races), along with the ones that have already agreed to come along with me on this expedition would do a indoor tri with me (accommodated by JackRabbit). 

And finally, you all are aware that my spinning studio is "FLYWHEEL SPORTS", www.flywheelsports.com) and they started a program called: FlyBarre.  The concept as told Kate Bohner, works the smaller muscles of the body.  Well if I never knew they existed they certainly showed up on the day I took that class (after taking a 45min spin class, with a 272 total output).  The movements were tiny and simple and made little sense to my wobbling body...therefore I must conquer this beast.  I am going back for round number two.  Speaking to Kate after class was a sheer delight, even during the class she was motivating and ensured that we would live through the discomfort we were currently experiencing.  She explained the essence of the "FlyBarre" experience and also indicated that there would be a six week challenge coming up.  Even if I don't get into the challenge, I plan on doing it for six weeks allocating the same number of days as required in the challenge to see desired results.  Yes I will post the results and my progress.  For those of you who don't know what Flywheel is about, take a look and below would have the concept for the FlyBarre Challenge. 

Let's get healthy and have fun in the process...below are the links for the Running in the USA info, you can input any state or type of race or activity you would like to do and register.  Have fun guys and if you see me, say hi!!!!!  We can take pics and post to the blog displaying our "sweaty fun".

RUNNING IN THE USA info:

FLYWHEEL SPORTS info:



“Transform your body and balance your life!”

The FlyBarre Challenge :: How It Works

Ten women participate in a Fitness Event at Flywheel Sports! You all challenge yourselves to slim down, get toned and enjoy the health and emotional benefits of a more sculpted, muscular body. And while you get stronger, you will surely find more balance and clarity in the your lives.

Participants promise to take three to four FlyBarre classes a week – with a mandatory -- for FlyBarre-Challenge participants only – one-hour class/workshop every Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m.   (By ensuring that they all work out together at this time, at least once a week, they’ll be encouraged to work within a support-group setting.)

Program Launch:
All women are photographed, measured and weighed.  That’s the scary part. The amazing part is that Lululemon has agreed to – at the same time – come in and organize and sponsor a “Goal Setting Workshop.”

NOTE:  I was incredibly impressed with how Amanda Casgar, the Regional Community Guru for Lululemon, explained how this works.  It begins with the participants — you all — setting realistic goals for the six-week period.  You set one-year, five-year, and even 10-year goals.  You then share these goals with the other members of the group to form a support group – where the entire team helps each other reach their goals.  (This is also a way to involve The Universe! :-)  It’s important to note here that these are “smart measurable goals.”  I decided to NOT make this a competition, a la “The Biggest Loser” – nothing against the television show, I think it’s very inspiring – just that I want to create the “team approach” ethos – one where you all feel camaraderie and are pulling for each other.  So, this is not a competition, but a collaboration! …  You are women coming together in a community to achieve your goals! Participants will lose inches but also discover the importance of routine, balance and commitment!

Each of you will be weighed and measured once per week. (You’ll be photographed only at the beginning and the end.  P.S. I’ve done the measuring before – and it really works as a motivating tool!)

At the end of the event … we will have a party in the studio where we’ll announce results, tell stories, Lululemon will present little gifties, and we can all shmooze, drink wine (the real stuff and sparking cider) and nibble on low fat cheese and wafer-thin crackers!

Thank you all for participating.  We’re looking right now at a start date of Monday, January 17th.  There will be a Orientation Meeting at 7:45 p.m. at the studio.

Looking forward to toning, building confidence, slimming down and finding balance with you all in 2011!

Kate




No comments:

Post a Comment